Monday, January 9, 2017

Forget Boring :: Chicken "Fried Rice"

With the turning of the new year, there are a LOT of people venturing into Whole30 as I mentioned last week. One of my college friends actually set up an accountability group for friends participating in a Whole30 challenge in January on Facebook; and, it has been a blast to see strangers and friends alike help each other out with tips, tricks, struggles and all the food pics (pretty or not!)

One of the recipes I shared in that group, from the archives, was this "Fried Rice", inspired from Livin Paleo. I used to make it a regular in the rotation and have just forgotten that I enjoy it so much! It seemed to be a hit with those who tried it and I decided to whip some up for my lunches this week, in my meal-prep last night. Man, were my taste-buds happy at lunch today! (not to mention full and satisfied!)

What I used...
  • Avocado oil for pan frying everything (1-2 tablespoons total)
  • 1 head cauliflower (chopped and then pulsed in the food processor to a rice like consistency-i did this in about 4 parts)
  • Chicken breasts, chopped and cooked (I made 6 meals out of mine so I used 6 chicken breasts, any sort of meat will work - pork, beef...)
  • About 1.5-2 cups of chopped carrots
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • Snow Peas (I chopped and added them because they sounded good-any veggie could work in this!)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4-1/2 cup Coconut Aminos (this is an excellent replacement for Soy Sauce!)
  • Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper for seasoning
  • Green onions to top
Then What Had Happened Was...
  1. In one pan, cook up your meat! I just coated in garlic powder and added a little salt and pepper then set aside. (Steamy. I know....I mean we are talkin chicken breast here...)
  2. In another pan, saute the onion in oil (EVOO or Avocado oil are fine!) Then add in your carrots and cover to steam.
  3. Add in the snap peas. These need less time to cook, depending on how textured you want your veggies. Add some garlic powder and s/p in this mix as well so it soaks in some flavor as it cooks!
  4. Set these aside and pan fry the riced cauliflower. I added a little oil and then some garlic here and just sauteed enough for flavor but not to mush...
  5. Mix the meet, veggies, and "rice" in one large skillet and then pour in the Coconut Aminos.
  6. Whisk the egg separately and then dump over the entire pan, incorporating the egg and allowing it to cook all around the mixture. Stir for a couple minutes until cooked. 
  7. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add some chopped green onions on top for look and added flavor.
This reheats great and is an easy and tasty way to get in lots of veggies and your protein. Who says you can't have some fun with cultural inspiration on your Whole30?!

Working on the egg roll solution...
and Finding Fit, 
Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment