Saturday, October 18, 2014

Date Ball Fudge Bombs.

We all have the occasional (or more than occasional) need to quench a sweet tooth.
<and for those select members of society who never really experience said need, you may quit reading now. And also, tell us your secrets! Come on now, give it up...>

While on this Paleo challenge, I usually try to stick to straight up fruit when I need desert, or my magical frozen banana "ice cream" concoction. But there are the times I explore a "paleo-ified" dessert.
Whether your desert is made of approved real ingredients or is chop full of all things artificial and xanthum gum-like, you are still taking in something your body registers as "sweet". For that reason I don't always love the idea of "Paleo-ifying" any and every dessert out there as it feels like it's missing the point of the lifestyle change. Naturally occurring sugars are going to be best for you, as found in fruit and some of the coconut sugar and other substitutes available; but, just remember, they are exactly that...sugar...still releasing into your blood and still triggering your insulin levels to have a spike reaction of some kind.

I say all this as a precaution because I think we all get caught up in the mentality that if it's "approved" or "clean" or "paleo", we can just consume frivolously. The finger is pointing at myself as well, so don't feel singled out, I assure you. Just keep tabs on when and how often you are bringing in fruit, both dried and fresh, and other clean desserts into your diet.

Alas, I return to the first stated fact, we all have the sweet need. And mine has been met by a great and simple recipe coming to me through a couple friends from Crossfit. It's been called "Fudge Bombs", "Date Balls", "Nutty Ball Things"...and I feel the need to share...
What I used:
  • 1.5 cups Pitted Dates (I buy mine at Sprouts generally. If you cannot find pitted, you can just rip them apart and not worry about 'neatly' pitting the monsters)
  • 1 cup Nut of choice (walnuts, cashews, almonds...I use raw or roasted unsalted Almonds)
  • 3-4 tablespoons of UNSWEETENED Cocoa Powder
  • dash of Pure Vanilla Extract
  • dash of Sea Salt
  1. Literally put everything in the food processor together and blend for about 2 minutes
  2. If you can clump a little between your fingers, it's ready to ball. If it is seeming dry, add a few more dates and mix
  3. Grab about 2 tablespoons worth and smoosh around in your hand until it begins to stick in a ball form (yes, I said smoosh) Roll the whole mix into about 1-1.5" balls. Should make somewhere around 20-24 and this part does take a little more time...
  4. I put mine straight into tupperware with one layer in each container and stick them in the fridge to set together a little and because I think they taste better cold
I bring one or two with me in my bag to enjoy after lunch. Or I'll grab one after dinner. They totally hit the spot. Dates are a very sweet fried fruit, so this is where the precaution comes in to not sit and consume them all. Stick them in the freezer if they will be a temptation to eat too many. On a lighter note, dates are also a great source of potassium, magnesium and lots of fiber!

So for you sweet tooth, chocolate craving friends, these little drops of heaven to the rescue. To you friends without a sweet tooth, the candy-lady has nothing for you.

Enjoy!

Finding Fit,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment