Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Cooking Dirty. Eating Clean.

With meal prep time running short on Sunday, I knew I had to plan one mid-week night when I could cook another meal to cover a couple more lunches. Not only that but I had that meal in my head! You know...that all consuming thought...I could practically taste it and had somehow perfected the experiment in my dreams...so it had to happen.

Tonight. Hump Day (Hump daaaaaay). I made it happen. I questioned my dedication to making it happen as I threw my body against the ground for burpees and wall-balled and rowed my legs to jello at the late Crossfit Strong class tonight. Yes, the thought of the classic and easier giant salad was a tempting out upon getting home so late. But this girl is busy and tonight was the night to make this happen. And mm-mm. I have no regrets.

I may be dripping sweat still but this meal was cleeeeeaaaan....

Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Baked Chicken Wrapped Asparagus.
Got that?

One more time.

Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Baked Chicken Wrapped Asparagus. Yes.

What I used to make these 3:
  •  3 chicken breasts flattened out (you can either use a meat hammer OR you can sometimes get your butcher to give you "Chicken Scaloppini"...or thin chicken cuts
  • Bundle of Asparagus spears
  • Avocado oil (or preferred baking oil)
  • Seasonings (I used Flavor God "Garlic Lovers"...garlic powder and s&p would do the trick)
  1. Preheat oven to 400*
  2. I put down some avocado oil on a foiled pan and then laid out my thin chicken cuts
  3. Spray or brush some avocado oil on the chicken and add seasonings
  4. Add 8 or so asparagus spears
  5. Wrap the chicken at an angle so the ends are on the bottom to help keep it together
  6. Sprinkle with some more Garlic Lovers (or chosen spices)
  7. Get it baking and let it bake for about 15-18 minutes while you make the Pesto....
Sun-dried Tomato Pesto:
(This is a prime example of utilizing your community resources. In the middle of the Lurong Living Paleo Challenge, I have finally realized the recipe forums are such great resources and found this there)
  •  3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (in oil is best)
  • 1/2 cup fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil (a small bunch)
  • 1 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. In a food processor or blender, mix the garlic, sun dried tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs
  2. Stream in olive oil in the processor until the pesto begins to form
  3. Add salt and pepper to paste
  4. Now take out your chicken and add a nice dollop (what would you do with a dollop...) to each bundle
  5. Bake for another 5-8 minutes depending on how much further your chicken needs to cook. 
<< I like to fly by the seat of my pants when I cook so it's hard to always document times and temps but I'll try to do my best to track these! >>
Enjoy! Don't be afraid to cook dirty and eat clean!

Finding Fit,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment